CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

this ship has sailed...

... without me!

I went to the harbour at 7:45 this morning, to be told by the guard that the Osprey had left at 12:43am... errr what?!

I called the Oceaneering office... the receptionist said "yes, everybody is in the shop, please come too".

Took a cab there, and got some explanation. One of the system on the ship had to be brought in the shop for repairs that had to be done on solid ground. So the ship went on a supply round without Oceaneering personnel on board. The rov will get fixed during the next 8 days... that's what I did today... checked the telemetry can, changed anodes....

No one notified me of the change of plan because all communications go through Michelle, and her blackberry was busted and she didn't get the message... The other guys were all at the same hotel so they heard about it... but not me... :S

The ship will be back tomorrow around noon. Half of the team, the people not from St.John's aka me and 5 other guys, will get on board to work on the second system, there's some repairs to do there too. We'll do this while the ship goes on his supply route, so the amount of work done will depend on weather. Calm sea means we work. 6-7m waves mean we stay inside, watch movies, eat and sleep until it passes... but still get paid :P

That's for the next 8 days... after that, both systems should be operational and we'll go to different spots to do underwater work. From what I saw on the schedule, we should be back in the harbour every 5-6 days! That means I'll get my internet fix regularly :D and I'll be able to keep this blog up to date :)

rov life - part 1, the adventure begins... finally!!!

0 comments: