CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 28, 2008

rov options

ROV options : 1 - getting rid of the Zebra mussels invasion in the Great Lakes (or try anyway), 2 - The Serpent Project, 3 - play Pirates of the Caribbean for real!, 4 - bridge inspection with lil firefly like Geek, 5- keeping score of fish populations and discover new species...


Many people have asked me and frowned.. so I will specify here...

I am not employed by an oil company! My "boss" is Oceaneering, who provides rov services to people who require them, like the Telecoms and the Oil and Gas industries.

This kind of company was my best (if not only) chance at a job so I took it gladly. When you start in rovs, you're a trainee. Smaller cies, like archaeology, marine protection or wreck recovery, do not employ many and often cannot afford to train someone. They'll prefer a pilot who'll be efficient right away, who already knows the machines inside n out

Oceaneering treats its employees very well so I should enjoy being there for the time. I will learn a lot and should make great contacts all over the world too.

But I do not forget that I got into rov to work with the ocean, not against it. This summer I contacted, and am still keeping in touch with, companies that do archaeology/treasure hunting in Florida, oceanography in Ontario, fish surveys in the Keys, bridge inspection in California and environmentalists all over the place (check SERPENT project). All of them know my interest and are willing to hire me when the need will arise... but in a company of 15 people, it doesn't happen too often.

So in the meantime I'll get the oil companies to give me $, instead of paying them every time I fill my car, and see where it takes me...
Maybe I'll make enough to start my own artifacts recovery company.. mmm Florida, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean... :P

So are we clear? I am not selling my soul or conscience, I have not changed my mind about anything, I am only taking the obligatory steps that will take me where I want to go in the end...

0 comments: