CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 26, 2008

New Orleans

On se rejoint coin Bienville et Bourbon?

Interesting place...

I didn't know much about New Orleans before going there... the history, the reputation, the vampires... but that was about it. I didn't know the real important stuff... like you're allowed to drink in the streets as long as you carry the beer/margarita/hurricane in a plastic container. :P
I don't know why I was surprised though... in a State that sells Daiquiris in drive-throughs, it's only normal that its official party town would allow drinking everywhere.

The place reminds me of Amsterdam, except that instead of "coffee" shops it has liquor shops... right on the side-walk. Same party mood, music blaring, staggering tourists... The architecture is beautiful, lots of forged iron, a definite European look.

Yesterday we only saw Bourbon Street and the surroundings. We went to check the Voodoo Festival, which was in City Park, a bit outside of the party zone. Turns out it was a huge music fest! I wish I had known about it sooner.. cause none of the guys had the money to go in (the tickets for the day were 60$, 125$ for the full 3 days show), so I couldn't go either, I would have been stuck there with no ride home :( I hate not having my car!!!! Godamn car country, there's no way to get anywhere without one >:(
But check the line up here... Wyclef, NIN, REM, Panic at the Disco... all styles and sizes mixed together... would have been awesome *sigh* next time I guess...

The city has recovered well from the hurricanes, the only signs left of it are the blue tarps some houses still have on their roofs. Other than that it's clean and nice and safe. I don't understand why people say it's a death trap... I didn't see anything remotely "scary" out there. I wouldn't go during spring break though.. the amount of drunken, idiotic 21yo must be unbearable...

I noted a couple of very cool stores... when I go back there (by myself this time, I'll rent a car if I have to! no dealing with a pack of boys when hitting the stores!) I'll have one hell of a shopping spree day :D
Gotta get everybody xmas present anyway... ;) how do y'all feel about loads and loads of shiny beads? :P


two of the many attractions found on Bourbon streets...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem with crime in New Orleans is not in the tourist areas but everywhere else.
Also if (apperently)if you travel to the immediate suburbs there's still entire neighbourhoods of abandoned houses. The french quarter was the first populated area of N.O. and is one (if not the only) area that's built above sea level. It was never really damaged by hurricane Katrina.

17£ said...

ooonnnhhh (soupir)
le music fest a l'air écoeurant...
la place aussi, les photos me donnent le goût d'y aller...

(maudit hiver à marde)