CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 20, 2008

First day done

It's warm and sunny here!!! I'm walking around in short skirt and flip flops!!! YAY Louisiana!!!

Ok, now that this is out of the way... I think this training is gonna be fun. Today was orientation, I met my classmates and was brainwashed about how Oceaneering is a great company to work for (but there was no need to do so... it IS a cool company, they built the Jaws attraction in Florida :P).

One of the guys, Benjamin, was at the Underwater Center this summer. When I told him I was there in spring he said "Ho so you're the Canadian girl"... my reputation precedes me, even in the southern states.. go figure :P

This week is a mix of everything. Tomorrow is survival... which I don't have to do after all!!! the one I did in Aberdeen is good enough... though not for the Canadian east coast... so I'll have to do that when I get back.. there's no escaping it :S .

Wednesday will be my 4th first aid/cpr course in a year... how ironic that I'll be the safest person to be around when I don't even like people!
Thursday is an introduction to the Gulf of Mexico (no swimming involved sadly.. just rules and regulations pertinent to this location)
Friday is basic rigging concepts... I'll be learning some new knots... hehehe

After that the fun begins.. intro to rov, mechanics, hydraulics, electronics and FLYING!!!
They have a simulator.. that should be fun to try.. hopefully I'll get some real flying time too, in actual water...

So all's good, the guys are nice so far, southern hospitality is not a myth, they go out of their way to be helpfull. I don't have a car, but I haven't paid for a taxi yet.. there's always someone around to offer a ride :)

Only downside, but it's all me, nothing to do with the place... is that I keep having flashbacks from my trip to Virginia... the towns look alike, the same restaurants aligned the same way on the road, and the hotel room too... except that here I'm alone in it :(
I hope it wont last for too long and that I'll paste some new feelings on the bad ones, cause now I'll look at the bed and my heart will squeeze and I have to go outside or crank the tv up to make it go away. It's a stress I don't need or want.. I have enough with the "new place, new crowd, new accent" to deal with. but fuck I miss him! I know, I'm an idiot, don't mention it.

Speaking of accent... it's not too thick so I can understand everybody, but medicine sounds like madisson and they do say y'all all the time :) Cute, but Scotland is still #1.

** and for those of you who are looking for work in ROVs.. now is the time to harass Oceaneering.. they are in full speed expansion and need people pronto! in the next 5 years they'll build over 100 rovs (do the maths, that's minimum 400 new rov people they'll hire) and set something like 97 new rigs. That also mean that I could make supervisor in about 6 months, if I kick butts at this :D **

1 comments:

17£ said...

t'es partie vite... :(