CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic fever

If I had kids (not that it's ever gonna happen) I would gladly support them in becoming high caliber athletes... but I would pray to every god available that they'd pick a team sport! And especially not something that is judged...

Every time I watch those little girls in gymnastic, my heart squeezes. So much work, so much effort... hours of training alone, repeating the same routine over and over again... only to be thwarted by a millisecond of hesitation in their 3 seconds performance or judges that have been "influenced" to vote the other way. Even when money doesn't change hands, it's impossible to be completely impartial... it's so unfair...

At least in sports like basketball, volleyball or football you're in it with a team... a bunch of friends who win and loose together. The training is hard but you're never alone, and victory is based on which team scores more. Simple and non-negotiable. (ok, referees can be a pain in the ass, but their influence on the outcome is still less than those of corrupted judges)

I don't know, to me it just seems better for someone's sanity... it's more human, less machine...
anyway, just my opinion...

0 comments: