CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 21, 2008

First week is over.. 6 more to go!

That is a Falcon... one of the ROVs I'll learn to fly in 3 weeks... I can't wait!!!

First week of class is already over... it went by quickly, although the first 2 days felt like a month! We got through most of the basic electronic knowledge.. so now I understand what I see when I look at the transformer of my computer or when I see P=VxI or V=IxR or (R2xR3)/(R2+R3)= ?ohms :P
but I must admit that the whole electromagnetic force business is still a bit blurry... that RMS (root mean square) crap bugs me.. I can do the equation but visualizing the damn thing is still hard... lucky all that theory wont be of any use to fly my ROV :D (if I have to repair it it's another story.. but I'll see when I get there)

I've built my first circuit this afternoon and didn't short it (or as the teacher would say "didn't let the smoke escape" :P) so yay!
One of the guys almost had a meltdown (his head, not his circuit) cause he just didn't get it.. what formula to use where and where this current came from and what the hell is the voltage and whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?

I haven't reach any level of panic yet and hope it will stay this way. I've stopped waiting for my threshold to be reached... When I don't get something right away, it usually becomes clear in the next 5 minutes. I think I can do this!

I'm moving in the Center tomorrow afternoon, so I'll be able to stay online later (my 11pm is 7pm for you North Americans :P). If I'm lucky I'll have a connection in my room (some of them do, depending how close you are to the computer room) but if not, I can still be in the c-room in my pajamas....

I'll take some pictures of the Center and the town tomorrow, so you can see where I live... the town is getting more and more enjoyable as I meet other students (needless to say.. all guys).
We're going to the pub tonight for some whisky sampling :)
I found a cool gym, the pool has a giant water slide and a sauna... where I plan to sleep sometimes to keep warm :P

My only complaint for this first week is that my room's window at the B&B has no insulation whatsoever and is right on high street, where the pubs are... so from 10pm to 1am there are bunches of drunks passing right under it... screaming, singing, laughing at the top of their lungs (some drunken baboons were trying to make their lives into a musical last night) and it's like they are right in my room (open or closed, that window lets in the same amount of decibels). So the hours of sleep I get are fewer than I want or need... but I don't need to wake up at 7am tomorrow, and the Center being by the lake, I wont be in the middle of the pub circuit anymore.

Ok, so more to come soon.. now I'm going DRINKING!!!! moohoohahahahahaha!!!! :P

0 comments: