CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

another quick update

Part of the Ben Nevis (the snow there) and a fading rainbow in front...

Day two of classes... went so much better!!! (In my head anyway)

We saw a bit more of basic electronics today.. and I still get it (I'm starting to think my brain is in fact in perfect working order... I had many doubts about that). The mood was a lot lighter today too, as people get to know each other and start joking around. Paul, our teacher, is wonderful.. he has a way of explaining things so they are clear and simple, and he's funny as hell too!

We saw a couple of ROVs, huge one and basic size.. and got to play a bit with unplugged remote controls/joysticks.... I CAN'T WAIT TO START FLYING THOSE THINGS!!!!!! It really is like playing Nintendo... :D

But actually it is more like controlling a diver... you see through the "eyes" of the ROV, so peripheral vision is reduced like when wearing a mask.. and you have to deal with buoyancy and currents, surge and all, plus, to make it easier.. Loch Linnhe (where we are) is mostly salt water from the Atlantic, but gets a lot of fresh water from surrounding rivers... so your buoyancy changes radically at some random depth, when you hit the salt water.

So this should be a lot of fun... first week is dry week, revision and text books, but after that we'll start building circuits and do trouble shooting exercises... so I'll get to burn myself with soldering irons and get electrocuted on a daily basis :P
And the last 3 weeks are flying lessons, search and recovery exercises... playing with the ROVs basically :)

I also found lots of website and companies to get work after... I won't have anything to do with oil business... but telecommunications, archaeology and scientific research all need rovs... so yay!

So that's it... still no nightlife, but we decided we'd create our own in the pubs ;)
Jetlag is still a bitch but I found good coffee...
The packed lunch provided is crap, so I got tupperwares to keep some of the dinner food (which is awesome) for lunch next day...
I'll definitely come back with an accent.. I hear it already :)

0 comments: