CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 11, 2008

I wish I was Vulcan

Sunset behind the mountains... another lucky shot by the wannabe photographer (that would be me in case there was any doupt :P)


This week we kept on going with circuits and logic gates. We had to make a truth table based on a circuit in our book (a bunch of 1001010010101. Depending which gate is on/off and what type it is, you get a 1 or 0 answer). I finished mine (no mistakes in it) in 5 minutes... the rest of the class, including the electronic pros, took 30 minutes or more to complete theirs. When I said to my slightly flabbergasted teacher, “well it's EASY.. it's pure logic...”, his answer was "You wouldn't be Vulcan by any chance?" :P

I wish I was.. a world seen only through pure logic, with no place for emotions would be so much easier to live in!... I wouldn't be fussing about today's date anyway... Though it probably would get very frustrating at some point, since most humans have no logic whatsoever and act on emotions only... I'm screwed no matter how I look at life... damn...

But i think being Vulcan would still beat my actual sine wave of a brain... from afar it looks all level and steady, but if you look closely at that full horizontal band you see it is made of a million ups and downs like a roller coaster... add spikes for unexpected events (or unstable power supply) and you have the pattern on which I ride... (and no I'm not drunk I came up with that with my brain's functions at full capacity... scary...) anyway....

I'm so glad to have Paul back to teach! Vince was fun, but he is a lot more thorough and since he is an ROV pilot, he can relay what we learn to the machine we'll have to fix... like logic gates are found on circuits controlling the camera of the ROV... the boys are a bit pissed cause we finish at 5:30pm instead of 4pm and they don't have time to play football before dinner anymore... but considering the price of this course.. I don't know... I'd rather be learning ;)

The new mascot of our class is Schmitt! It's a type of chip that will clean the electric signal, making the sine wave on the oscilloscope all nice and clear. We had been trying to clean up our signal for an hour and just by changing the chip for a Schmitt it got all nice. So everyone fell in love with Schmitt and now he's the man! If you don't have Schmitt you're fucked... so don't be surprise if I come back saying holy Schmitt! (maybe I should have one implanted in my head...)

Wednesday morning I woke up to real Scottish weather... a wall of fog! Vis was about 4 meters! Could barely see the shore, and the lake not at all!!! Sadly it had all cleared up by break time so I don't have pictures for my “the weather in Scotland changes every 10 minutes” theme.

Forgot to mention.. last Saturday there was a big wedding in Fort William.. tons of men in kilts!!!! complete with tuxedo shirts, wool socks, Sgian Dubh and sporran!!!! I was a happy woman! ;)


update : I couldn't post this last night cause the int. conn. crashed... now it's Friday afternoon and I'm officially done with electronics (that makes me an electronics technician.. my certificate is on its way! :P) So boring theory is over!!!! Next Monday I start working with real rovs!!!!! woohoohoohoo!!!!!!! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be having too much fun... It's a "sine wave". ;o)

Anonymous said...

hahahaha typo corrected :p
weird how these things happen... ;)