CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 29, 2010

erk

I finally made it home after 32h of transit, most of which I'd like to forget...

After my shift, at 6am Saturday, I packed my stuff and went to the mandatory viewing of the safety dvd on boat transfer, than waited in the tv room for the Chancellor to arrive.

Got in the frog at 2pm, that's a frog -->
left the field 30 minutes later and went to bed at 3:30pm. Since I was the only female passenger and couldn't share a room with anybody, I ended up in an empty crewman's cabin, right on the top floor of the boat where things move, pitch and roll quite a lot more than in the gallows....

Woke up at 8pm thinking I'd catch the Habs game on my laptop there was WIFI internet on that boat! got some food, watched part of the game but got too tired so went back to bed... that's where the fun began... we hit a storm and 12m waves... and I got seasick! First time in my life and I soooo hope the last!!!
I usually know when it's time to take it easy, there's a ringing in my ears that says "go lie down for 10 minutes"... but this time I was already lying down! :S it got worse and worse and I nearly puked a couple of times, so I figured it was time to call on the medic for some gravols...

The phone in my room wasn't working >:( so I went down to find her, bumping in walls, holding on for dear life in the 4 staircases... she had gone to bed and didn't answer the door when I knocked. I was really dizzy by then so I went back to bed but I just kept getting worse. At some point a bunch of cleaning supplies fell down in the hallway, so when a crewmate came to pick it up I scrambled to the door and asked him to find me some pills :P

He had more success in waking up the medic and she gave me a shot I was beyond the gravols stage apparently... which kept me nauseous but gave me back my will to live. For the next 8 hours I just held on to the bunk so I wouldn't fall off it, and listened to the sound of objects falling all around while being rocked side to side and lifted off the mattress every 2min or so...
At 5am we finally entered the calm waters of St.John's Narrow, and I was instantly better. Half of the guys traveling with me and on another boat that followed us, got sick. The guys who didn't get sick were the wise and lucky one who were on the lower level, gobbed 4 gravols as soon as they got on board, then went to sleep for the whole trip... I'll remember that pearl of wisdom next time I'm stuck doing boat transfer :S



*Those of you who've never experienced seasickness, imagine the worst hangover or stomach flu you've ever had... every movement like turning your head, sitting up, rolling your eyes... makes you want to throw up... and everything around you is moving!!! But the real kicker is that every time you puke, instead of feeling better for a while you feel just as bad or worse...*

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

very colorful pictures you have described in such a way that i can see you bouncing off the bulkheads in your search of those wonderful peace giving pills. thanks Ms. Blue fer that clorful movie. Lots o love to ya from the sunny GOM. Jaime Saucedo