CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 13, 2009

update

I got more news this morning from the people in St.John's. No one from Oceaneering was on board the helicopter that ditched yesterday, but the offshore industry is a closed knit one and everybody knows each other... so St.John's is not a good place to be just now :(

They found the life rafts yesterday... empty... by now, the chances of finding survivors are... well... zero. The immersion suit mandatory to wear when you fly above freezing water gives you about 24h (instead of 6 minutes!) before hypothermia sets in... it's been 30h...

They are sending out the Osprey (the ship I was on!) to look for the helicopter today (it sunk not long after ditching)... so the other crew will fly the rovs around until they find it. It will then be salvaged so they can study it and find what went wrong...

I wish I was part of the search and recovery crew... but at the same time I don't... Doing salvage work is my ultimate goal in the rov world, but I was thinking old sunken ships/planes/submarines with no one on board... not heli wreck with 16 people inside you hope to find and bring back so their families can have closure...
I don't know how the guys are going to deal with this I'm suspecting massive amount of drinking will be involved once they're back in port, my thoughts are with them.

0 comments: