CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 10, 2009

pit stop!

We're finally in St.John's, after two weeks out there, but leaving again this evening.

Out of the previous possibilities, almost all of them actually happened!

-We did many passengers runs, from Argentia to the Grand Banks rig

-We towed the rig for a couple of days, because the fishermen were complaining of the anchors...
fishing season is on, and the rig, plus its many giant anchors, is right in the middle of the fishing grounds... so we took all the anchors off, and towed the rig around, going nowhere, so the fishermen could drag their nets all over the place without getting stuck... yeah, I learned diplomacy (or how to just shut it and sulk) the hard way... stuck between an oil company and fisheries... *sigh*

-the pack ice finally cleared and we came back to St.John's this afternoon (after giving the rig's bridle to another ship who is now running in circle in our place). On the way here we passed 3 massive icebergs... some pics are posted up there, more will come once I'm back in Montreal (April 24th).

All this time we didn't do s***. We brought GAMMA (the daily maintenance) up to date and then I did inventory, re labeling all the cabinets and drawers properly *ho yeah! I'm living the dream baby!!!*

When we got the rig on tow, we were not allowed outside anymore, so I read about one book a day and watch movies, hockey games when the goddamned sat dish was working >:/ and ran up and down the stairs to keep from going insane I also remind myself hourly how much I was getting paid to do squat :P... the inside of a ship shrinks as the days go by...

Luckily, the second half of the hitch should be much more interesting... no more passengers runs, and we have real jobs to do. We're going on 24h rotations, meaning teams of 3 divided like so: 6am-6pm, 6pm-6am, 12am-12pm, 12pm-12am... I got the 6am-6pm shift...
bad side: I have to wake up at 5am, to be on deck around 5:30am
good side: I wont miss the playoffs if I sleep before and after the games (because of time difference, the games come on at 9pm here :S)

There's a lot more people on board now.. the "company men", meaning the guys who hired us to do the job, are here to make sure we don't screw up... I don't care about it, cause I'm a dumb SSE short service employee aka junior tech aka new girl who doesn't know anything and thus am not responsible for anything that could go wrong :P surprisingly enough some of these guys are young and do not have a mustache! they even seem nice! that should make for an interesting trip.

anyway, that's it for now, don't know when I'll be back in St.John's again.. at the latest it should be on the 22nd, just in time for crew change...

all aboard!!!

0 comments: