CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 13, 2009

Two weeks onboard done!

The first trip out, that was supposed to last a couple of days, got extended to 2 weeks... we were stand by for a rig (in case it explodes and we have to get its staff outta there pronto) and couldn't leave until another vessel came to replace us.

It took me 2-3 days to get used to the constant movement of the ship... and I still lose my balance from time to time (which, apparently, is extremely entertaining for everyone else). I didn't get sea sick, just a bit dizzy at times for the first 2-3 days.. and I was getting some ghost of a headache for a while. I guess I can be a sailor afterall :P

First impressions...

The job itself is fun.. when we have things to do. Half the time the weather is too bad to go out. I've learned a good lot still, but mostly safety stuff. This is normal for February, apparently. When the weather gets better the days get really busy.

There is a serious obsession about safety around here (the primary reason being that we get safety bonuses twice a year if we're careful... no incident on your hitches = +2500$ on your paycheck every 6 months!!!). It's getting a bit ridiculous at times though... we'll all end up in a hamster bubble if it keeps at this rate :S

The amount of paperwork involved is schizophrenic too. During the weekly inspection of our work site, I noticed one of the hooks on a safety chain was rusted. 10 minutes to replace it, but 2 days, 3 signatures and 5 different forms (to be sent to 3 different people/offices/organizations) were required to complete the HSE report of this “unsafe environment”. N-u-t-s...

The guys are ok. They were a bit unsure on how to “deal” with a girl on board, but they eventually got over it and all is fine... except for their choice of tv shows... Wheel of Fortune, The Price is Right, Coronation Street, the St.John's news and WEATHER?! Who cares what's the weather like on land?? were 14h away from any solid ground!!!
I told them I didn't know I was onboard with a bunch of old ladies... they said the office was supposed to have warned me :P
At least I get the hockey games.. though with the way the Habs are playing these days I might as well stick with the granny shows... equally boring, but less depressing :S

Half of the crew (6 guys) spent the last two weeks in the shop while we were offshore. The full team has been reunited today.
We're not on 24h rotation yet, there's no need for it. So we have a safety meeting at 7:30am and then try to find maintenance stuff to do to keep busy until 5pm (minus 30m breaks at 10am and 3pm, and “Hollywood lunch” from 11:30 to 1pm). I'm not exactly exhausting myself... I've learned the pre-dives checks and some hydraulics.. and how to make the simple job of finalizing a dvd last 8 hours :P all you need is 4 incompatible dvd burners and voila! A headache of logistic

I got to fly a bit around the cage yesterday (my first Oceaneering flight yay!), to get a hang of the control... it's quite different to fly in the ocean with the surge, surf, movement of the boat and all (compared to in a loch or on a simulator.. my 2 previous experiences)... but I didn't crash, break or explode anything, so I'd say it's good :D

We're back in St.John's today, supposedly until Monday.. Millennium 3 (the second rov) has been fixed in the shop and was brought back on board this afternoon. The Osprey is supposed to tow a rig on Thursday, but depending on weather it could be now, or next week or who knows!

Towing a rig when we're onboard is a waste of $$$ for Husky, because no one is allowed on deck while the towing is taking place (too many cables that could snap and kill someone.. See? Safety again :P) but Oceaneering is still billing them for us being stuck there, even though we can't work yay! Stealing money from the oil company!!! hehe


2 comments:

. said...

Oui mais LA question est:
y'en a-tu des cutes ???

Anonymous said...

nope! beaucoup de monde tres sympa, mais le paysage humain est plutot nul.

faut etre ici pour comprendre les details subtiles de la chose, mais St.John's c'est une ile vois-tu... et y'a pas beaucoup de deplacement de population...

Tout le monde est marié a 25 ans et se plaint du conjoint pour le reste de leur vie... that's the way the cookie crumbles apparently

Je m'ennuie de notre cosmopolite Montreal... disons que c plutot uniforme calé et moustachu ici :P